Monday, January 30, 2012

Don't Underestimate the Details

Last week this missionary known for some obedience issues called me at like 11:15 at night to tell me he needed to go to the clinic. I dragged myself out of bed, took a cab over there with him and sat there in the clinic in the world’s most uncomfortable plastic lawn chair and talked with under qualified doctors while this other missionary promptly fell asleep in his hospital bed. And that’s where I stayed, until about 6:30 in the morning. At which point I was told that he just had some bad gas. I remember thinking, “Is this really what I came to Peru to do?” And that really bothered me. Till my dad wrote me a letter. Like 3 hours ago. Turns out in his mission he spent a lot of time in the office when he was a missionary in Korea. He had no time to proselyte and spent most of his time fixing the mission car to get ready for trips throughout the mission for training. One day before a trip he spent the whole day doing tune-ups on the car and thought, “Is this really what I came to Korea to do?” I hadn’t told him anything about my clinic story before he wrote that letter or how I was feeling in the office, but I think he saw it coming. And he explained how now he can realize the importance of his missionary service; both the time spent serving investigators and the time spent serving missionaries  I think we underestimate the details of our lives. I’m realizing a little more all the time that the experiences and circumstances of our lives are guided for eternal purposes. I believe that we are always divinely guided. So don’t underestimate the details of your life. Aight? That’s all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment