Saturday, March 3, 2012

An excerpt from an extremely typical conversation in the life of a missionary:

Me, "Hey guy, how are you?"
Guy, "Oh hey, I'm good."
Me, "Awesome. So you're not at school/work today?"
Guy, "No, I'm just kickin it."
Me, "Well hey we're missionaries. Can we come in and teach you how to live a happier, more meaningful life?"
Guy, "Mmm I don't really know. I have to wash my pants..."
Me, "Well, pants are important. Is there anyway we could help you wash your pants and then teach you how you can live with your family forever?"
Guy, "Ooo I don't know. They´re really dirty. Besides, I need to make some rice."
Me, "Okay, well it sounds like you´re really busy with rice and pants right now. Maybe we could come back later to teach you how you can be freed from the long and short term effects of sin."
Guy, "Well, that sounds good. I'm almost not really here that much though(direct translation). Sometimes I leave my house."
Me, "Well, I bet we could plan a time in the future when we can both be here."
Guy, "I don't know, sometimes my door is closed (more exact words)."
Me, "Okay well ,what could we do to solve that one?"
Guy, "Well, I could leave it open if I knew when you were coming."
Me, "Sounds fantastic. Let's do that. So when should we come by."
Guy, "Wait, are you gonna come here?"
Me, "We were hoping."
Guy, "Oh well I have to go to Cajamarca for..forever so... it could be hard to find me... almost I'm not here very much."
Me, "I see. Well, good luck with your pants."

No comments:

Post a Comment