Monday, September 10, 2012

Porvenier

It kinda cool being like a traveling zone leader and getting to know all the missionaries better and seeing how their areas are doing. It's been real successful for us. But now more and more companionships are asking us to come do work visits to visit tought investigators or help their fechas stay strong and I kinda feel this pressure to come in out of nowhere not knowing anything and just make all problems everywhere go away and make every area be successful.

I think that's the best thing about being a missionary though. You never don't know what to teach when you're set apart to represent Christ. No matter what the problem is the first thing that needs to be done is have more faith in Christ, then repent, then make or keep covenants, then get the Spirit, then persevere. Every single time. It's a good lesson to learn.

There have been several times in my mission where I have these reality checks, knee to knee with a forty year old guy whose life's fallen all about him and realize I'm a twenty year old kid whose never really done anything at all. So, who am I to tell him how to fix his life? And then it becomes oddly comforting to remember the way that President Beard told me after I got set apart, "No one really cares about Doug for the next two. Just be Elder Brian." And so we just teach the doctrine of Christ. And it works every single time. And people's lives change. It's a really cool experience. It's like this name tag is just a really big mirrior. And my only job is to angle it right and reflect the gospel at people.

No comments:

Post a Comment